Youth Pastor Position
YOUTH PASTOR JOB DESCRIPTION:
STATUS: Part-time, Salaried
HOURS: 10 Hours per week (possibly more at times…and less at times.)
The goal of the Youth Ministry (Middle and High School) is to build disciples for Christ, equipping them to share their faith with others. Our key component to making disciples here at Harvest is through RELATIONSHIPS. First with God, and then with others. Loving Him and loving people. We want young people to know God, find the freedom that his love offers, discover why they were created, and go make a difference in this world for the Kingdom of God.
The Youth Pastor reports to the Lead Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. Other times of guidance, such as: Administrative, events, times, plans will be done with the church administrator.
The Primary Task:
Develop and implement a comprehensive approach to student ministry. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of youth ministry to:
- Help young people Find and KNOW God, where they have a real authentic relationship with Him.
- Disciple the youth into a personal relationship with God in both large group and smaller relational environments.
- Grow the youth ministry by creating attractive and compelling environments to which our youth can invite their non-Christian friends.
- Build a team of passionate adult youth leaders/coaches to help mentor and disciple the youth
- Teach the youth the Gospel and what that requires from them
- Provide them with opportunities for growth
- Show Jesus’ love through modeling
- Challenge the youth to respond to God’s call to serve in the church, community of Sioux falls and world
- Support and assist the parents in the process of discipling their youth
- Equip the current youth to share the Gospel with their friends
- Build a ministry that engages with local Middle and High schools in the area, through an on-campus ministry if possible.
1. Be an advocate for youth and young adults and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
2. Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry.
3. Mentor youth and young adults in developing their leadership skills.
4. Stay abreast of new resources and changes in youth ministry and youth culture and adjust our programming as needed to maintain a current and effective program.
5. Share these changes with the parents to assist them in better understanding their youth and the culture they live in.
6. Participate in continuing education events and training opportunities when available.
7. Provide parents with continuing education and training in the area of raising their youth.
8. Recruit and train volunteers to serve in various aspects of youth, and young adult ministry and ensure adequate adult to youth ratios.
9. Provide leadership for youth leaders, mentors, and parents beyond the youth service.
10. Work in partnership with schools in the area to effectively reach youth in the community and develop a strategic ministry outreach plan.
11. Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
12. Communicate with the youth and parents in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, texting,
etc.). This includes a quarterly parent’s newsletter, regular parent emails regarding upcoming events, weekly youth check in texts and periodic articles in the weekly
13. Be available to encourage, challenge, and counsel the youth, young adults and parents towards effective lives as followers of Jesus (i.e. lunch at school, after school
visits, attendance at extracurricular activities, home visitations, and support during times of crisis, etc.)
14. Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a strong teamwork mentality.
15. Attend all Staff Meetings as well as any other regular scheduled meetings.
16. Ensure that the Child Protection Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
1. Adhere to theology and values in harmony with Harvest’s mission and values as well as statements of belief at www.Harvestsf.org
2. Clear, observable commitment to Jesus Christ
3. A relational and pastoral heart
4. A call of God to Youth Ministry is a must. Student ministry training and/or 2 plus years of experience in the area of youth ministry is preferred.
5. Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a student and family ministry within the parameters of Harvest
6. Must have good written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and some computer skill.
7. Must have a proven ability to work effectively with youth, young adults, parents, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
8. Must be a scriptural tither/giver and attender.
Please send an email to our Administrator Isaac Schmeling at Isaac@harvestsf.org with the subject line “Youth Pastor Application” with the following attachments:
1. Your resumé
2. A recent photo of you (and your family if you wish)
3. A statement, no longer than one page, on your philosophy of youth ministry.
4. A link to your preaching/teaching (preferably video, but audio is acceptable if no
video is available) youth.